|1971||Renamed Stuttgart Polytechnic
With ever increasing demands on the training of engineers the traditional name State School of Construction disappeared. Stuttgart Polytechnic, as it was now known became an integral part of the post-secondary educational sector and as a corporation under public law it gained equal status with universities.
The Polytechnic expands
The Departments of Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mathematics, Surveying and Foundation Studies were established. Study requirement was the school leaving standard for admission to a German Polytechnic. Studies lasted eight semesters including two internship semesters. The Egle Building, originally conceived for 450 students in 1870, now had to accommodate 1,200 students. This led to intolerable conditions and premises had to be rented in neighbouring buildings.
|1973||Further building acquired
At the beginning of the 1973/74 winter semester buildings behind the main courtyard were released by the University of Stuttgart and became available for the Polytechnic to install lecture rooms and laboratories. In 1974 the Polytechnic moved into a part of the Regional Savings Bank building (today Building 2).
|1975||New study and examination
New study and examination regulations were introduced in the 1975 summer semester. Owing to the large number of applicants a minimum academic requirement was introduced and a maximum number of admissions.
|1976||The computer centre and library
The installation of the Computer Centre in Building 2 was a great relief for academic staff, students and administration. The entire certificate documentation process and immatriculation lists were transferred to EDP.
|1977||New Rector, Polytechnic report and „Stall
Professor Rolf Schmalor (1921 – 2005) was rector from 1977 to 1985. He pushed forward the expansion of the polytechnic both in a quantitative and qualitative way and received the Federal Cross of Merit for his services to the Polytechnic. After a long break the student's festival the „Stall Festival“ took place again and the Polytechnic Report was launched, reviewing the past year for students, academic, associate and administrative staff.
Interior Architecture and Building Physics were introduced as course specialisation programmes. Student numbers had risen to 1,700.
|1979||Establishment of a Technical Consulting
The Technical Consulting Service is part of the Steinbeis Foundation for Economic Development in Baden-Württemberg. Its goal is to support technology transfer between the Polytechnic and medium sized companies in Baden-Württemberg. The International Centre for Further Education of Photogrammetry Operators (IPO) was established. The IPO targeted especially operators from the developing world.
The growing demand for space continued in spite of sporadic acquisitions. In 1982 the Polytechnic had an effective area of 10,000 m², enough for 840 students and therefore only 50 percent of its required capacity. The two top floors of the university's K2 building were transferred to the Polytechnic and modifications were made to Building 2. The Library and Information Centre were installed on the ground floor and workshops and laboratories in the basement.
Professor Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Zabel (*1928) was appointed new Rector. His focus was primarily the expansion of facilities. He became one of the »immortal building rectors« after he completed the construction of Building 3 and the Glass Bridge in cooperation with an architectural team. At the same time the redevelopment and renovation of Building 1 and 2 began as well as the construction of new lecture halls in the basement underneath the courtyard.
|1988||Foundation of the Joseph-von-Egle
The Joseph-von-Egle Institute for Innovation and Transfer in Building Technology, now the IAF, was founded in 1988. It provides a framework for applied research projects and for final theses in all areas connected with construction.
|1989||New postgraduate joint project
The postgraduate study course Environmental Protection was launched in the 1989/90 winter semester. The course is a joint project with the Polytechnics of Nürtingen, Reutlingen, Esslingen and Stuttgart.
|1990||Student numbers increase
In the 1990/91 winter semester student numbers increased to over 2,000.
|1992||Department of Architecture in Building
Following partial demolition and reconstruction Building 3 was taken over again in January 1992. Civil Engineering laboratories and the Public Building Materials Testing Centre were installed on the ground floor.
|1993||New Rector, New magazine
Professor Dr. Martin Stohrer (1943 – 2008) was appointed Rector in 1993. He had been appointed a professor at the Polytechnic in 1978 with the goal to expand the Building Physics programme. The Polytechnic received a new logo and the twice yearly polytechnic magazine „Stallgeflüster“ was launched.
Renovations were completed in Building 2. The departments of Mathematics, Surveying and Interior Architecture now had suitable rooms for teaching.