Tuition fees for international students
International students in Baden-Württemberg will be charged
tuition fees for bachelor’s programmes and consecutive master’s
programmes from the winter semester of 2017/2018 onwards. Fees have
been set at €1,500 per semester plus a re-enrolment fee/semester
contribution of €193,40 (see
here for further details).
The aforementioned tuition fees apply to all programmes taught at
HFT Stuttgart with the exception of the International Project
Management programme, which is subject to separate tuition fees
(see here for further details).
International tuition fees are to be paid by all international
students who begin a programme at HFT Stuttgart from the winter
semester of 2017/2018 onwards.
Full payment is a prerequisite for both enrolment and re-enrolment
in the next semester.
You can apply for an exemption from international student fees
during semesters in which you are away on an internship or have
opted to take a break from your studies.
Students registered on a preparatory course for the “Prüfung zur
Feststellung der Eignung ausländischer Studienbewerberinnen und
-bewerber” in Baden-Württemberg prior to the start of the winter
semester of 2017/2018 do not have to pay international tuition fees
for the first programme they enrol in further to successful
completion of the preparatory course.
here to access further information (the link takes you to the
website of the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Science, Research and
You do not have to pay international student fees if you meet one
of the following three criteria:
- You are a citizen of an EU member state
- You are a citizen of an EEA member state
- You hold a German higher education entrance
- A general university entrance qualification
- A subject-specific university entrance qualification
- An entrance qualification for a university of applied
- Adequate school-level qualifications and a certificate of
successful completion of the “Deltaprüfung” (insofar as you
gained your entrance qualification for a university of
applied sciences or subject-specific university entrance
qualification in Germany)
- A recognized certificate of advanced vocational training
(insofar as you gained it in Germany)
- Professional qualifications (insofar as you gained your
professional experience and qualifications in Germany) and a
certificate confirming successful completion of the
corresponding aptitude test
- Other German qualifications approved by the Ministry of
The following rule of thumb applies: If you are eligible for
BAföG (financial assistance provided to eligible students by the
German government), you are exempt from international student
You may be eligible for an exception or exemption if you hold a
German residence permit not only in order to study in Germany, but
also because of family circumstances (e.g. if you are the spouse,
partner or child of a German, a citizen of the EU/EEA or a
foreigner who has been granted permanent residency in Germany),
because you have been forced to flee your home country or because
you have been granted an indefinite residence permit for some other
reason. You may also be exempt if you have lived and worked in
Germany for over 5 years. For further details, please refer to
documents in the download section (Ausnahmen von der
The following groups are exempt from international tuition
- International students spending a finite period in
Baden-Württemberg as part of a reciprocal arrangement at state or
- Erasmus students
- International students from partner universities attending
HFT Stuttgart as part of a dual programme
Members of staff at the International Student Office are happy to answer
any questions you may have.
You can also apply for an exemption in the following
- During a semester in which you opt to take a break from your
studies (your application must be submitted prior to the start of
- During a semester in which you are away on an internship
- You are a refugee whose habitual abode is in Germany, you are
recognized under the UN Convention Relating to the Status of
Refugees, and your entitlement to reside in Germany is not merely
provisional under the terms of § 5 Para. 1 No. 3 LHGebG.
- Your ability to participate in a programme of higher
education is restricted by a disability under the terms of
§ 2 Vol. 9 Sozialgesetzbuch.
NB: Applications must be submitted prior to the start of
How does the exemption process work?
- If your application for admission is accepted you will be
emailed an exemption form.
- If you are of the opinion that you are eligible for an
exception or exemption, please fill out the form and send it back
to us along with the necessary documentary evidence (e.g. a copy
of your residence permit, passport, replacement passport and/or
- If your application for exception or exemption is accepted,
we will send you either notification that an exception has been
granted or a certificate confirming your exemption from
international student fees.
- When you come to enrol, please bring your original
passport/ID card, residence permit and any other relevant
documentation with you.
- You will receive a fee notification if your application is
rejected and you are required to pay international student fees.
You must be able to provide proof of payment when you enrol.
We will only refund tuition fees in the following scenarios:
- If you revoke your enrolment with immediate effect within one
month after lectures begin.
- If you met the criteria for a fee exemption but were
prevented from submitting supporting evidence prior to
- If a change in circumstances that occurs within one month
after lectures begin dictates that you now meet the criteria for
a statutory exemption.
The refund form is available in the download section